Friday, May 9, 2008

KALs and Nikon








Left FO: Wedding Bands (Yahoo Groups Monthly Dishcloth KAL, May 2008)

FO on the Right: Coffeemaker (Yahoo Groups Shirley's Knitting Knook May 2008)

When I was a knitter in my previous life, I never thought to keep a "knitting journal" or memorialize any of my creations. Occasionally somebody took a snapshot of one of the nieces wearing a sweater or hat that I knitted, but other than that, there is no memory.


I never was a scrapbooker; all of the family snaps get tossed into a shoebox. The digital photography revolution has changed my view on that topic ... well, at least I make digital scrapbooks and mail them on disk to all of the relevant people. But combining the convenience of digital photo with a "knitting journal" is really a nifty idea. For once in my life, I have something like a physical record of the knitting that I am doing. It's rather an exciting idea, in a quaint new age/middle age sort of way.

My DH was a better-than-average pro-am photographer: if you've attended any sprint car races around the midwest, you've probably seen his pictures. From the early 80s through the mid-90s he photographed weddings, local little league games and other special events. I never put my name on the work, but I carried along the back-up camera (and lights and spare lenses and battery packs and filters and so on and so forth). And I was known to take more than one great photo and snapped several that were at least good. But since DH went to that great darkroom in the sky, I've barely been able to remember to charge batteries, let alone how to set the camera for "automatic" and let the latest in digital gear do the work.

So I'm not going to apologize for the lousy photos: I spent yesterday filling the memory card with "Crazy Hair Day" at fourth grade, and snapped the quick pics of the latest KALs ... before blocking (for all of you perfectionists, sorry. The cloths will be blocked before going into the gift bags for wedding showers coming up next month). Otherwise, I knew it would be another week before I would remember to swap out batteries for the freshly charged ones and be ready for the next event.









No comments: